Thursday, March 10, 2011

No Words.....


Mason does not talk. That's right my 16 month old says no words. He babbles, screams and makes all kinds of sounds. Just no words. He makes the sounds Mama and Dada, just not in reference to us. He uses some signs to tell us what he wants, but never attempts to make the words. He mimics sounds and faces but never the words I say. He waves when I say "Bye Bye!", he blows me a kiss when I say "I love you" but never a word. 
I tell myself there is nothing to worry about, every baby develops at their own rate. I reassure everyone that he communicates in his own way and lets us know what he wants, that he will talk when he is ready. I try not to pay much attention to peoples negative comments about it when it come up in conversation. I try not to compare him to his sister who was speaking 3 word sentences at 16 months. I know all the reasons- Younger siblings always talk later. Boys develop slower then girls. As long a he is communicating some way its just fine. 
To be honest, I go back and forth between being scared shitless, and being relaxed about it. Some days I am convinced there is something wrong with my handsome sweet boy and I cry. Other days I feel like whats the big deal he will talk when he is ready. I convince myself worrying and crying only makes me one of those crazy overprotective Moms. Mostly I think He is happy and healthy and that's all the matters. And I dream that someday I will look back on this and think how dumb I was to worry over something so insignificant, and that he will talk before I know it and that I will wonder why I ever wanted him to start.
But right now the worry will always be there, until his first word.

No comments:

Post a Comment